Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Art of Seeing Julie and Julia.

Just got back from seeing Julie and Julia.  All right it wasn't my first choice, or second, but it was a really good movie!  It was a little too long, like almost all movies are now days ( I'm talking to you, Jud Apatow) but the acting was dynamite, the script was inventive and it had some really funny moments.  There was even a moment when I got a little teary eyed ( Julie drops a raspberry cream dessert on the streets of Queens, what a waste). 

I had a bit of a problem with Julie's husband.  She kept referring to him as a saint even though a lot of the time he acted like an asshole.  He bitched and moaned about her spending so much time cooking then ate everything she made like he was just rescued from a desert island. 

Meryl Streep was awesome, as usual, but I thought Stanley Tucci's performance was as good as hers. He should get an Oscar nomination as well as the one Meryl Streep will surely get.

I really liked the way they wove the two stories together, but did not make the mistake of trying to tell either one of the characters entire life story.  That's one of the reasons I liked Walk The Line so much, besides the Johnny Cash music.

In the end all I can say is I left the theater happy and hungry.  Though I left Iron Man happy and hungry as well.  And Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Reader. crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment